Contributors
Jessica Dotta


Links

My Web Site
Glass Road Public Relations
InspireCompany
The Feathered Nest
Junie Moon
Graphics Fairy
Karla's Cottage
True Providence Jewelry

Recent Posts
It’s Halloween and I’m writing my Novel Journey po...
Reporting from the Trenches
There are some weeks when writing comes easy, and ...
Request for Books
If You're Still Struggling . . .
MySpace for Writers?
Confessions of a Bibliophile
Current One Sheet-- click on it to read the words ...
Sign up for our Email Newsletter
My Writing Space

Member of the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance


Click Here To Join




Click Here To Join



Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
stock.xchng

Powered by:


Meter:



Miscellaneous


Friday, November 07, 2008
Surviving the Doom and Gloom

Have you noticed the subject lines of PW Daily lately?


11/7 2008 Scholastic Buyout Draws 100
11/6/2008 Profits Stink at Harper
11/5/2008 Trade Sales Dip in September
11/4/2008 B&N Unhappy Forecast

Yikes!

Equally as cheerful is this little article on New York that asks ‘Have We Reached the End of Book Publishing as We Know it’—the article is happily named “
The End.”

It reminds us that our biggest advocator of books, Oprah, will be off the air soon, rings the death knell of Borders Group while calling B&N stingy. Amazon, it appears, is trying to take over the world (publishing that is.) The article also states their opinion as to how things got into this mess.

Right now isn’t exactly the most encouraging time for aspiring novelist. This week someone jokingly called me and asked if I’d look over their work. They wanted to pitch it before the entire industry collapsed.

Ha, ha. Funny. (I hope.)

But this week, I also read something encouraging. Something that reminded me that writers write, whether any one is buying or not.

Here’s a query from the 18th century:

Sir, I have in my possession a manuscript novel comprising 3 vols. About the length of Miss Burney’s Evelina. As I am well aware of what consequences it is that a work this sort should make its first appearance under a respectable name, I apply to you. I shall be much obliged therefore if you will inform me whether you choose to be concerned in it, what will be the expense of publishing it at the author’s risk, and what you will venture to advance for the property of it, if on perusal it is approved of. Should you give any encouragement I will send you the work.


The proposal was rejected and this book had to wait 16 years before finally becoming published. That book was Pride and Prejudice.

Jane Austen also sold another book to a publisher who didn’t bother to publish it. After thirteen years passed, her brother purchased the rights back and the book, Northanger Abby, didn’t release until after Jane was in her grave.

Her books are still in print, and probably doing better than most.

Austen, it seems, loved writing for writing sake. My guess is that if she were alive, she’d simply skim the headlines, and then go back to writing her books. Guess I will too.
Jessica Dotta
  posted at 7:26 PM
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home