Contributors
Jessica Dotta


Links

My Web Site
Glass Road Public Relations
InspireCompany
The Feathered Nest
Junie Moon
Graphics Fairy
Karla's Cottage
True Providence Jewelry

Recent Posts
Paperless Books
Surviving the Doom and Gloom
It’s Halloween and I’m writing my Novel Journey po...
Reporting from the Trenches
There are some weeks when writing comes easy, and ...
Request for Books
If You're Still Struggling . . .
MySpace for Writers?
Confessions of a Bibliophile
Current One Sheet-- click on it to read the words ...

Member of the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance


Click Here To Join




Click Here To Join



Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
stock.xchng

Powered by:


Meter:



Miscellaneous


Friday, November 21, 2008

Last week I asked about Readers. This week I’m curious to learn how many of you are using Project Gutenberg, which currently has over 25,000 free books online and over 3million downloads a month.

It’s absolutely brilliant for a historical novelist. I’ve used it to read Victorian housekeeping books, diaries, and research topics of interest. A quick search of my eBooks folder shows me some of the various subjects and books I’ve downloaded:


AN ENGLISH GRAMMAR, by W. M. Baskervill and J. W. Sewell

1811 DICTIONARY OF THE VULGAR TONGUE, by Captain Grose et al.

FIFTEEN THOUSAND USEFUL PHRASES, by Greenville Kleiser

And I quote, "Practical Handbook Of Pertinent Expressions, Striking Similes, Literary, Commercial, Conversational, And Oratorical Terms, For The Embellishment Of Speech And Literature, And The Improvement Of The Vocabulary Of Those Persons Who Read, Write, And Speak English.”

LETTERS FROM ENGAND 1846-1849, by Elizabeth Davis Bancroft

THE CENTURY VOCABULARY BUILDER, By Garland Greever and Joseph M. Bachelor.

THE HOUSE OF THE VAMPIRE, by George Sylvester Viereck

SHORT STORY WRITING, A PRACTICAL TREATISE ON THE ART OF THE SHORT STORY, by Charles Raymond Barrett

THE LOSS OF THE SS. TITANIC, by Lawrence Beesley (a firsthand account that kept me as riveted as the movie)

et cetera, et cetera . . .

I suppose any non-writer would think I was grabbing all the boring ones. But it's a gold mine for writers and researchers, not to mention a place to read the classics for free. They also have illustrated books, children's botany, etc.


So do any of you guys visit Project Gutenberg? And if so, I'm curious what you've down loaded.
Jessica Dotta
  posted at 6:17 PM
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 11/25/2008 09:41:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Ludwig said...

I've never heard of it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Jess!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home