Contributors
Jessica Dotta


Links

My Web Site
Glass Road Public Relations
InspireCompany
The Feathered Nest
Junie Moon
Graphics Fairy
Karla's Cottage
True Providence Jewelry

Recent Posts
The Cat's Meat Shop
The Lady and the Unicorn
Writer's Quote
Harry Potter, One Writer's Critique
Last week I read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Gol...
Tip for the Writer: On your websites, I suggest no...
Musings from a Publicists Desk
Finally!
Good Author Photo

Member of the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance


Click Here To Join




Click Here To Join



Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
stock.xchng

Powered by:


Meter:



Miscellaneous


Sunday, January 21, 2007
An Interesting E-mail on the Subject
To: Jessica Dotta
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 9:45 PM
Subject: Hi!


(Posted with Permission)

Hey Jessica!

Since we discussed Harry Potter the last time we talked, and I've just completed the 3rd one, I thought I'd share with you my thoughts.

I think in some ways a Christian's take on Potter will have much to do with how he sees Halloween. If a Christian thinks Halloween is evil, he will think the same of these books.


At one time, I did, and we still do not celebrate Halloween. -- mostly because we know there is real evil in the world and real witches, and they are not to be toyed with.

We want our children to understand that there is real evil in the world, and I'm not sure a young child can appreciate the difference. Every family has to make their own decisions about what they think is appropriate. We have many friends who celebrate Halloween, and we do not condemn them. But we didn't feel comfortable personally, and our general rule of thumb is, "when in doubt, don't." (That's one of the reasons we've avoided Potter, too)

However, I remember the fun I had as a child dressing up and getting candy, and I think that's how most families who participate in Halloween see it.

And even most adults don't take the scary part seriously.

However, I don't like scary things -- particularly ones that are evil, because I know real evil exists. And like Lewis said, there are two dangers in which one can approach the devil - one is an unhealthy interest, the other is disbelief.

One could argue that Rowling may be encouraging the second. Are you surprised I didn't say the first? That has been the most surprising thing for me so far. She creates a fantasy world, and the entire time I'm reading, even when I'm turning pages with interest (and that really hasn't happened until the end of the third one), I'm completely aware I'm in fiction. In fact, in some ways her world seems less real than Narnia. With Narnia, part of me always feels like what's happening really is happening or has happened.

I've never felt Rowling's world was real. Don't know why -- if that's something she's done intentionally as a writer, or if it's just happened. I remember reading several Stephen King books when I was in high school. His books terrified me. I couldn't put them down because from page one he scared me to death and I couldn't stop until the end when finally gave resolution and I could breathe again.

Rowling also pokes fun at the most common metaphysical practices we see -- like she has a teacher who is supposed to be psychic, but it's apparent she's just making stuff up. And she uses things that I don't think any real witches believe in, like time travel and corridors that take you to places humans can't see. Kind of like L'Engle. In many ways the books are just fun because they are fantasy -- magic. It's almost like a cartoon with broomsticks and wands and things. Do witches in real life use wands? Reminds me in some ways of Bewitched. I'm not saying there's no real metaphysical stuff -- the psychic teacher does have one lapse where she really predicts the future, but she doesn't even realize she's done it. And because that kind of thing is the exception to most of the witchery in the books, it didn't bother me.

Put it this way, would you have enjoyed the Narnia stories even without all the strong Christian symbolism and excellent way of teaching so much truth? If so, you probably won't mind Potter.

She does have a fear factor, but the fear isn't from evil, but the same sort of fear you get from a good suspense.

Second, to be honest, on one hand, I'm not crazy about Rowling's writing. Critiquing and reading writing books has done its damage! I find myself wanting to edit while I read. I want to write her and tell her how good her books could be if she'd just join Penwrights. We could really help her.

On the other hand, I am thoroughly impressed with her imagination and her ability to bring so many seemingly meaningless details together in the end. She is excellent with characterization. I have laughed out loud several times. I also love how smart the books are in the way of using Latin in spells and names, and how everything means something. And, her endings are so satisfying. She does an excellent job misleading the reader. I'm always surprised at the end.

So, there you have it. Hope those thoughts help you as you decide whether or not to take the Potter plunge.

Blessings,
Jessica Dotta
  posted at 1:30 PM
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home